The Works Department;
1. Facilitate the implementation of policies on works and report to the Assembly, and provide advice on matters relating to Works in the Assembly.
2. Facilitate the construction, repair and maintenance of:
3. Public roads including Feeder Roads.
4. Drains along any streets in the major settlements within its jurisdiction.
5. Encourage and facilitate maintenance of public buildings and facilities in the Assembly.
6. Assist to build, equip, close and maintain markets and prohibit the erection of stores in places other than the markets.
7. Assist to inspect projects undertaken by the District Assembly with the relevant departments of the Assembly.
8. Advise the Assembly on the prohibition of digging of burrow pits and other evacuations in the sinking of wells or their closers.
9. Assist to maintain public buildings made up of offices, residential accommodations and ancillary structures
10. Advise and encourage owners of building structures to
- Remove dilapidated structures in any public place.
- Paint, distemper, white wash or colour wash the outside of any building forming part of the premises
- Tidy up the premises and remove any derelict vehicles or objects which constitute nuisance
11. Provide technical advice for the machinery and structural layout of building plans to facilitate escape from fire, rescue operation and fire management
STRUCTURE, FUNCTIONS AND SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE WORKS DEPARTMENT AT THE MMDA
Technical structure of the Works Department at the MMDA.
The Works Department is made up of the following Unit and Section:
1. Building Unit
2. Water Unit
3. Feeder Road Unit
4. Building Control management Section
5. Physical Project Development Section
6. Facilities management Section
7. Design and Supervision Section
8. Operation and Maintenance Section
9. Survey and Design Section
10. Quality Control Section
11. Contract management Section
12. Maintenance Section
NB: The Department gives a technical backstopping to all Public institutions and private developers alike.